Sunday, November 30, 2008

Yachats, anyone?

Update on places to stay on the Oregon coast based on information from two reliable sources--rving 80 year old neighbors who spent a month in Bandan last summer and have been up and down the coast in their many years together and from our friend Jim Moore (married to our friend Bev Burge from Wellington, OH and proud OSU alum) who worked for the forest service for many years in OR--Lincoln City and Newport are too touristy although Rogue brewery is a draw in Newport. So we will continue to investigate other locations nearby because there are some interesting side trips to be had near both.
Yachats came up as an option but we don't want to get too far from Portland. The vrbo options in Newport are limited especially when trying to find a large enough rental to accommodate us (along with any assorted friends) that is reasonably priced. So we'll keep looking...

http://www.discovernewport.com/
http://www.yachats.org/

2 comments:

Jane Ehrman said...

Thanks for the update! There are whale tours out of Newport, which might be fun. Also, Willamette Valley - 1 hr south of Portland has a pretty good winery. Check out www.willamettewines.com

Florence, OR has sea lions... I really like sea lions.

mehrman said...

Hi Everybody,
There are a lot of options for touring the Willamette Valley and drinking wine. Do people want to do that? If so, I can look into it. I think there might even be a bus we could take from Portland. There are also some wine bars that do tastings and Tapas or tasting classes, if folks don't want to see the Willamette Valley. I would second the library in training's suggestion that we stay closer to Portland. Also, we should NOT go to the Rogue Brewery anymore. They are taking over a pretty nice bar by my office and I still am not happy about it: http://blog.oregonlive.com/thebeerhere/2008/11/rogue_plans_to_buy_green_drago.html
I hope everyone is well,
Matt